Slider Picture

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

NU 6 by JS - New attitude/ paradigm and New Spending Habits

New Attitude or Paradigm
By Jan Vincent Sollesta


One of the things we do on New Year it to make a resolution. It is the time to reflect on the things we did and achieved last year and the things we need to do on the current year. During the vacation I spent some of my time reading a book entitled Good to Great by Jim Collins. As I read over the first few chapters of the book, he taught here a principle that aside from doing "to do list", a company should also do a "stop doing list". Basically, this book is directed toward turning around good companies to being great. This paradigm is not only applicable to companies but also to our personal lives. Sometimes we are doing enumerated jobs under our "to do list" but this tasks are fulfilled basically just for short term effect. Most often times, tasks under this list can be done for a day or for a week. On the other hand, "stop doing list" are more on long term perspective because most of us live in a busy but undisciplined lives.  It is more beneficial for a person to set goals that would include not only his "to do" list (daily tasks) but he also need to come up with his "stop doing" list. Basically, goals are for longer perspective, how we want to become requires steady disciplined thoughts and actions. 
                In my journal, I started also to enlist the things I need to stop doing for this year. As I jot it down I have noticed that most of the things I need to stop doing like sleeping late, etc really hinder me to become better and achieve my goals. Hopefully, Ill become better this year and achieve my goals by stop doing my undisciplined actions. 4



New Spending Habits
By Jan Vincent Sollesta

                Starting my year right begins by being disciplined in my spending habits. Last year, I was too lax about my spending habits without making thoughts of where my income goes. Often times, I feel that my income is not properly correlated. Even though, I have enough for my needs and extra for my wants still at the end of the month I don't save enough as compared to my goal. To address this concern I have to come up with a decision with regards on how I should use my income properly and that is the 10-20-70 rule. This principle means that 10 percent is allocated for tithing/donation, 20 percent for savings and 70 percent for my personal expenses. To further complement this principle I got myself three plastic envelopes labelled individually as 10, 20 and 70. I'll take it into habit that every pay day these envelopes are filled. I'll set aside immediately the filled 10 and 20 envelopes and please myself of the remaining amount of the "70" envelope.  3

No comments: