Slider Picture

Sunday, October 13, 2013

NU 12 by Jaime Mendejar: What pisses you off at the neighborhood?

What pisses you off at the neighborhood? What do you suggest?

Before I begin, I would like to define what 'neighborhood' actually means for me which are basically my neighbors or the people surrounding where I live.   First I don't live in a fancy neighborhood, we don't have security guards who get your information before you enter, basically anyone can get in or out without anyone noticing. In short, since anyone gets in and out its not impossible for someone to do something and you're clueless as to who did it.  For example, our house got robbed and no one even noticed. Our car, parked in the street since we don't have a garage, suddenly has either a dent or a huge scratch in the morning.   To be fair, there have been a couple of measures that they have performed to try and control it.  They implemented a curfew system, after 10pm only 1 main road can be passed thru by vehicles, they installed CCTV cameras on some streets and they have night security on posts across the barangay.  

So what pisses me off about my neighborhood?  They cannot follow-thru on their implementation. The curfew though they say have been implemented only limits people to 'stand-by' in areas outside of their houses - so what do people do? Hold drinking sessions inside their houses instead.  The CCTV cameras, though installed, have been reported not to be even running or working.  The night security watch, don't even roam around to see if anything is strange or happening unless someone reports it.  In short, its only for show.

So what needs to be done? I honestly think that there should be an iron hand that implements these rules, someone needs to take over and ensure that the rules are not only made, but implemented religiously.  My only suggestion is a change in leadership, as much as I want to take matters into my own hands, the resources and authority are not with me to use. Although, as a citizen I can push for these matters to the right authorities by having a petition from the general consensus and hope that the authorities act and listen.   3   (leadership is weak)

By Jaime Mendejar

No comments: