Slider Picture

Monday, October 21, 2013

NU#7 Multi-Chamber Cooking Pot by Anthony G. Parungao

NU12 # 7 –  Multi-chamber Cooking Pot
by Anthony G. Parungao
SPentrep S10     
In a fast paced lifestyle, eating home cooked food is always what we crave for day-in day-out for our self and our family.  Families or bachelors who are used to living without household help exerts extra effort to prepare meals on a daily basis or every other day in bulk, stores in the refrigerator and re-heats it in micro-waves or cooking pan.  At home, we prepare at least three meals during Sundays so we'll have enough for the next three days for kid's lunch and dinner when we arrive home.  Breakfast is easier to prepare and we can just have toasted bread, pancake or oatmeal.

I worse part is I do all of these because, these are one of the set of skills I learned when I was a kid.  Watching my aunts in the province prepare dozens of "putahe" for the annual fiesta.  The usual meals I prepare like adobo, asado, beef stew, menudo, caldereta, pinatisan (white adobo) using fish sauce instead of soy sauce, arroz ala cubana, bicol express and many other meat and chicken base recipes have common ingredients (i.e. onions, garlic, tomatoes, ready to cook mixed vegetables, potatoes, ginger, etc.) .  Each meal is prepared separately in a cooking pot.  If you can multi-task (which Paolo disagrees) you can switch on your gas range (maximum of two pots only) I use electric stove for the third pot, heat three pans all at the same time and start cooking three different meals.  I can do that, believe me Paolo, that's multi-tasking.

I was thinking, if I can cook in three separate pots at a time, then a multi-chamber stainless steel cooking pot, large enough to accommodate 1 kilogram of meat each will do the trick.  Variations will be as follows:  If it was a round cooking pot, a single stainless plate permanently positioned as barrier will provide two chambers, a Y stainless plate will provide three chambers.  A square pot with a cross stainless plate will create a four chamber cooking pot.  In this manner this will allow you to cook two to four meals at a time.  This will also save you on electricity or gasul. 

I can probably experiment on this with a conventional stainless pot.  I can buy a good quality plate with just the right gauge (thickness of stainless plate) then use tic weld (this is the variation of welding machine used to bind stainless steels w/out damaging the material) to position my plate. A pressure cooker version will also serve me well.

This will make life easier and faster for chefs and cooks like me. 4

By Anthony G. Parungao
SP Entrep S10

No comments: