Slider Picture

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

NU 12 by Jaime Mendejar stretching in the office

Stretching in the Office

Recently, I was with a friend of mine from MBA and we were sharing old experiences during grade school/high school.  Some were of course, very funny if you look back like lining up putting your arms straight forward and folding them while walking to and from the classroom.  One thing struck me though, I had a friend where there school had a 'Drop Everything and Read' policy, as the name implies wherever you are in the campus, upon hearing the bell, you need to drop everything and start to read or else be sanctioned accordingly.  True enough, the students did read, always brought a book with them wherever they went which promoted good reading habits for children.  

Made me wonder, why didn't we have something like that in our school? Is it too late to start? Well, to pitch in a school probably is, but I thought what if it can be performed in work? Instead of reading though, it can be stretching.  A lot of times, my neck and back is strained from typing and sitting down for long hours which is not only unhealthy for my overall health and blood circulation, it also is physically annoying to have your muscles aching.  So I believe a 'Drop Everything and Stretch' policy may be implemented in our team to start with.  I would ring a bell 3 times a day - 10am, 2pm and 5pm where we would all stretch, no exact steps or sequence, just stretch and walk around keep the blood running and 'recharge' ourselves.  This would not only build good camaraderie within the team by stretching at the same time, but also create a healthier routine given our sedentary lifestyle.  

By Jaime Mendejar 3

No comments: