Slider Picture

Saturday, November 30, 2013

NU12. New Attitude by Hector Santos Jr; Plants in Every Home


NU12. NEW ATTITUDE/PARADIGM
PLANT IN EVERY HOME
I started my rooftop garden way back last 2008 after the construction of my house somewhere in Makati City. During the said year, I thought of bringing plants in the roof top as a hobby as well as to reduce the heat of the sun that rays on our home. Some of the plants that I planted were the following:
-       Mini Banana tree, Mini Alatiris tree, Mini Buko Tree, Mini Manggo Tree, Mini Bamboo Tree (put in a big drum)
-       Tomato, Pandan, Lettuce, Kalamansi, and other edible plants.
-       Medicinal plants such as Kataka-taka, Pito-pito etc.
-       Various cactuses
-       Various orchids
-       Millionaire's vine
-       Exotic plants such as Venus Fly Trap, Horse Fern etc.
-       And so many other plants that I still try know their name as of date.
After months of gardening, I came to realize that I'm not just planting for a hobby. My passion for planting became deeper and appreciated that I'm also helping our mother earth even in a very little way. A classic example of a simple man converted into an environmentalist due to simple planting.
Then I thought that what if all people are like me who likes to have plants in their home?
Will it lessen the global warming effect?
Will it make every person responsible to the environment?
We all know that in urban areas like Metro Manila, plants were not that abundant as compared 50 years ago.
I also think about the following:
-       Creation of law mandating all households in the Philippines to have at least a single plant or at least 10 plants on their respective homes.
-       How about a National Building Code that requires all roof top to be a garden.
-       Establishing a foundation called "PLANT IN EVERY HOME FOUNDATION"
Above is very timely, especially after the occurrence of very strong typhoons and even the Habagats.

Plant in every home… please… hopefully…  4
Submitted by Hector Santos Jr.
MBA – MM, SPENTREP

No comments: