Slider Picture

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

NU12 - Serendepity Walk - by Jaime Mendejar

I was rather bored this afternoon and too tired to do anything productive (before this post) and I thought to buy myself merienda in our local talipapa or market in Kalayaan Makati.  A lot of things have changed since I was a kid growing up in the same streets, the roads and drainage for one have been much better than my flood-stricken childhood.  The same old suspects are roaming the streets, shirtless, jobless, day in and day out. One big difference though is the abundance of entrepreneurial vibe that I found in the streets, I used to just see small carinderias a bakery and sari-sari stores when I was a kid, but now, left and right you would see computer shops, sit down tapsilog and pares places, a couple of siomai stores, a hardware, banana cue, ginataan, palabok, lumpia and all kinds of merienda, I even saw a walk-in videoke room charging 5 pesos per song.  And all these in just 1 busy street, you tend to think how these businesses actually survive given that their only market are those who live in our barangay.  Got me thinking, if I were to start something here, what could it be?

- party needs store (chair rental, balloon making, clowns)
- cellphone repair shop
- motoryclcle/tricycle repair shop (for the TODAs)
- coffee vendo machine
- travel agency
- basketball/intrams jersey making
- mr quickie (the services eg. key duplicate but not a franchise)

By Jaime Mendejar  3

No comments: