Slider Picture

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

NU 12 # 1 by JCD - What pisses you in the office



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: john carlo de galicia <jcdegalicia@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: Reminder on Assignments




Hi Prof Jorge,





NU 12
 What pisses you off in your office/ What do you think must be done?


The world is never perfect. There are things that are indeed beyond our control and expectations. But, without the big picture, dream of what we would like to have and where we want to be, there is no driving force to aspire for and keep us passionately moving. Mediocrity and status quo will just persist.

For a dreamer and conqueror, things will never be enough, there is always a room for improvement. Life will change and the world evolves whether we permit it or not.

Thinking of things needing change in the office is countless. What pisses me off, (even though I don't normally dwell on the downside that will just hamper my productivity, so I focus on solutions) includes the following:

Facilities/ Technology
1.    Unavailability of computer printers at times when you need to print few  business proposals intended for new clients. This happens almost everyday since there are just two PCs connected to the printer being used by 128 visiting agents/ advisors. In a first come first serve basis, it is indeed difficult to secure a time that you could use the printer. Once the unit manager's personal secretaries also queue, it is difficult, if not impossible, for us to have a seat and access to the printer.

What cause annoyance on my end? Seeing people that they are not even using the printer yet they occupy the seat to do their personal and admin works.

What must be done? Allow other laptops and/or computers to have access to the central printer. This will save everyone's time in waiting. Currently, we are also using our individual laptop and prepare our paper works at home using our own printers to facilitate the business need.

  1. Absence of branch wide wi-fi to facilitate speedy work. Working nowadays are mostly dependent on the use of internet. Maintaining your own internet access is another cost,


What must be done? It is normally the company's responsibility to provide the necessary tools and equipments that will assist and promote at work. As a resolution, we escalated the concern to our branch manager for his appropriate action. However, since it takes some time before the desired resolution takes place, to fasten the work and keep our productivity, we provide and pay for  our own wi-fi access.

Personnel/ Staff
  1. A negativist and complacent staff. I minimize encounters with this kind of people. I challenge their ideology but most often, since it looks to be imbedded on their personality and attitude that is hard to change, I normally resolve the problem on my own to stay productive. Keeping the positive attitude and protecting my aspirations from detractors, I succeed and learn from experience and people's attitude. I feel sorry to those who fail to constructively listen to my thoughts and suggestions.

What must be done? Like a shark, I love and keep on moving forward. I tend to celebrate, mingle an surround myself with people whose energy, passion and goals are promising enough get on higher heights. To be of help to our staff, I give constructive feedback pertaining to their attitude, then,  I walk the talk. Little by little, even so hard that it may seem, things get better.    

Procedural/ Policies
  1. I find it distasteful to be reprimanded and suffer due to lack of proper information caused by other party or department in the office. Left with no choice than to comply with the management team: quality and risk management, turnaround of events whether good or bad is always charge to experience

What must be done? Gone were the days that we just keep on complaining. Now, I challenge myself to learn more day by day— be it a process of another department or of my immediate circle and influence at work.
  
Thanks



--



John Carlo "JC" De Galicia 3.5
Field Manager, Sun Life Financial
Ivy New Business Office

No comments: